Start of Term 3
Parent / Teacher Interviews
Information for New International Students
Thank you for choosing to study at Huntly College. We are looking forward to meeting you and welcoming you to our school.
You are probably nervous about starting at a new school, so to help you we have listed below what items you should bring with you, as well as what to expect when you arrive and who can help you.
BEFORE YOU LEAVE HOME
What to bring
- Return airline ticket, passport and visa to study in NZ
- Travel / medical insurance policy
- Any medication you take regularly
- Laptop and mobile phone
- Adaptor plug(s) for electrical items
- Spending money
- Personal items and clothes
What not to bring
- Do not travel with large amounts of cash.
- Do not bring fresh food with you, even if it is in packaging. You are not allowed to bring fresh food into NZ.
- Book your flight so that you arrive a few days before the start of school. This will allow you to recover from jetlag and to get ready to start school.
- Ensure you pack your own bags and do not carry anything for other people.
- Make sure you let us know your flight and arrival details at least a week before you travel - email@example.com This will enable us to organise for you to be met at the airport. We will email you to confirm who will be collecting you from the airport.
ARRIVING IN NZ
- When you arrive at Auckland Airport you should have completed a Passenger Arrival Card. Please ensure that you declare everything. If you are not sure, then ask for help.
- You will go through Passport Control, Baggage Claim and Customs.
- In the public arrivals lounge, you will see either a member of our staff or your host family, waiting for you with a sign with your name on it.
- If you get lost or cannot see a sign with your name on it - then please call the International Team.
- You will be taken to your new home to unpack, settle in, get to know your new family and recover from your journey.
- Put your passport somewhere safe.
FIRST DAYS AT SCHOOL
- You will be required to attend school wearing full school uniform - click here to see the school uniform information sheet.
- On the morning of your first day, we will go through the Orientation Programme with you.
- Your English level will be assessed to enable us to know which classes will suit you best.
- We will prepare a personal timetable for you.
- We will introduce you to your "buddy" for the next week or two - your buddy is another student who will look after you, introduce you to new friends and show around the school.
- The school hours each week are Monday to Friday - 8.45a.m. to 3.00p.m.
- There are 5 classes a day, the duration of classes is 60 minutes except on a Wednesday.
- If you arrive late for school, please ensure you sign in at Student Services.
- If you are absent for any reason, your host family must telephone the school to notify us.
- We offer a large range of sports and cultural activities at school. Joining a club or a team is an excellent way to get to know other students.
- Please read the Homestay Information booklet you are given in your Orientation Pack. This will offer you lots of information about your family and what you can expect.
- Please ask your host family to take you to purchase a NZ SIM for your mobile phone, as well as to open a bank account. When opening your bank account you will need proof of identity, your passport will be OK to use.
WHO CAN HELP IF YOU NEED ASSISTANCE
|Problems with Homestay||International Department|
|Doing some travelling||International Department for Travel Authorisation Form|
|Insurance of Visa queries||International Department|
|Problems/Queries regarding subjects||The Academic Dean|
|Someone to talk to in confidence||Guidance Counsellor or International Department|
|Someone to talk to about careers/tertiary education||Careers & Pathways Consultant|